Virginia House of Delegates 2005 Elections

Keeping You up to date on the status of Virginia's 2005 Delegate races!

Friday, April 22, 2005

#7 of the Top 10

#7

67th District- incumbent, Gary Reese (R), part of Fairfax County, part of Loundon County

Outlook: Likely Republican

This is the most exciting primary challenge currently going on in Virginia. Here's why:

#1- Reese is being attacked as "liberal" and "pro-tax", but he voted against the final budget last year. If this charge sticks on Reese for having been for an earlier version of the budget that did not pass, then it may change how Delegates view their votes while in Richmond.

#2- Primary Challenger Chris Craddock is a youth minister in the district. This is saving him a lot of money as his "students" have already been seen lit dropping all over the district.

#3- When Reese won this seat in 2001, he only got 39% of the vote in the Republican primary. The other 61% was split between two much more conservative candidates. Since then, Reese has given himself a voting record to attack, and a new Senator now represents this district, conservative Ken Cuccinelli. The traction could be much greater this year against Reese than in 2001.

#4- A Democrat can win. Unlike many of the other districts where Republican primary challenges are going on, this district is only barely Republican. Democrats have local school board member Kathy Smith waiting in the wings. If she runs- this race goes from "Likely Republican" to "Leans Republican". Against Craddock it becomes a "Toss Up" and one of the closest in Virginia.

4 Comments:

At 3:02 PM, Blogger LiebJef said...

What makes you think that Kathy Smith is "waiting in the wings"?

 
At 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kathy Smith-HAHAHHAHAHHAHAAHHH. As Delegate? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Not Larry Sabato said...

Only guessing, since she is the only Democrat elected in 'them parts. And since she was ousted as Chairman of the School Board by her own party she probably would like something else to do.

 
At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One thing is clear: You have never met her

 

Post a Comment

<< Home